Sunday, January 29, 2012

That boy's a readin' fool! And other things...


Andrew has turned into quite a voracious reader!  He's been devouring chapter books cover to cover, often reading several books a day.  Last week, Dan and I thought it would be fun to go to the bookstore while the boys were at school and surprise the boys with four new Magic Tree House books (their current favorite series).  We were thinking the books would last Andrew at least a week or so.  We never expected that he would read three of the books that day and the fourth one the next day, ha ha! Since then, the library has been our best friend and Andrew reads the books as soon as he gets them.  The trademark Peterson love of reading is strong with this one!

These are the books he's read in the last couple of weeks. Ok, I'll admit that Dan and I were both a little curious to see how well he was actually comprehending what he was reading so Dan started asking him little trivia questions from the books. We couldn't believe how well he was nailing the answers!  He really is loving these story lines!  The Magic Tree House books are awesome too because the boys also learn about the historical people, places and events the main characters, Jack and Annie, visit.

Andrew also loves his Tron and Star Wars book and we figure he'll be transitioning into some of the older boy series soon.  He gets so into the characters and story lines.  Often after reading a book, he wants to write a book himself.  We have a huge stack of books he's written since the Fall.  It brings back so many memories of how much writing I used to do as a kid. :)  


We are so grateful for Andrew!

------------------------------------------------------------

Next month will mark 10 years since the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games.  My Dad actually worked for the Olympics and I have so many incredible memories of the games because of it!  My Dad was a casting director for the opening and closing ceremonies and was in charge of insane amounts of coordinating behind stage. And if you know how much genuine enthusiasm and talent for working with people my dad has, you would know that he was SO perfect for that role!!!   :)

I was having fun the other day listening to songs from the Olympic soundtrack and when it came to Robbie Robertson's Stomp Dance, Forrest immediately picked up on it.  He fell IN LOVE with it!  He wanted to listen to it again and again!

Here's the song so you can capture the whole moment:


and here's Forrest interpretation (he created his own Eagle costume with a few of my scarves) and practiced the dance a few times.  He even performed it for Grandpa and Grandma Brown over Google Video chat.  It was SO cute and funny!


Ha ha!  Not bad eh?  I LOVE it!

--------------------------------------------------------


And finally, I made this Italian bread on Thursday from the Food Nanny book that Kriste gave me (its an awesome book, btw :)  The bread was SO SO good! Let me know if you are interested and I'll email you the recipe...I'm feeling too lazy to type it out right now :)

Thanks for checking in with us!

10 comments:

Metta said...

Love your life, your kids, your heart, your writing, your camera. xoxo

hilary w said...

Wow, what an amazing reader Andrew is! Jack also loves Magic Treehouse, but he can't read them himself yet! It's so fun to see a child start reading because then a whole new world is opened up to them!

Jean said...

Oh my gosh, that bread looks heavenly!!! You are amazing, you baker lady!!! Wow, I am so impressed with Andrew's reading. That's GREAT! He is just plowing through his books, haha! And I love Forrest's eagle outfit. Woohoo!!

Sherrie said...

Is there a gluten free version of this? Let me know because it looks wonderful. Love Mom

Sherrie said...

I love this post - has lots of info about the Peterson household and how the gang is doing. Again - All my love, Mom

Megan and Jeremy said...

Oh I love those pictures of your two boys! You can tell they are such great little buds. Doesn't that make you so happy???!!! Good for Andrew to be such a reader! I can't wait for my kids to love reading. They love us to read to them constantly & it will be so fun for them to be able to take off on their own too.

I had no idea your Dad worked on the Olympics! That is so cool. My favorite was Josh Groban & Charlotte Church singing The Prayer with that ice skating dance. We couldn't say an actual prayer I guess but that was close enough. Their voices are perfect together. I always thought they should do a CD together.

And I love the bread! You are such a blessing to your little family Heather!

Abbie said...

I want to come and hang out with you and your kids SOOOOOOO BADLY!!! Eli and Drew could read and Audrie, Forrest, and Addi could dress up. I miss you like CRAZY!!

Abbie said...

PS thanks for all the book ideas. I'll be coming back to this post in a few months:)

Natalie Francis said...

I'm catching up on blogs (I love checking in on yours...miss you) and just saw the bread! If you get a minute, can you send me the recipe? nataliemfrancis@gmail.com

Wendi said...

I agree Food Nanny is a nice recipe book to have. I wouldn't rank it high for healthiness (butter seems to be the essential ingredient in about 90% of the recipes), however--you can't go wrong when you're entertaining and you want something that tastes absolutely awesome. I love her Northwest-style corn bread. Plus she teaches some great how-to's in the book.

Your bread looks amazing by the way!