Monday, January 23, 2012

little things

Adelaide was so excited about the rain on Saturday morning that she wanted to share the excitement with her little mouse, Tilly.  (Her mouse is named after one of our favorite toddler book series you can find here.  You can usually check the books out from the library--the series is soo cute!!  The boys loved them a few years ago and Addi loves them now.)  Addi is turning into such a little mama the way she holds and talks to her babies.

The rain on Saturday morning later turned to snow, but now the snow is melting.  I can't help but laugh at how ironic it is that last year we had a mild winter in Oregon and Utah got hammered with snow, and this year Oregon/NW has been blasted with snow and Utah is having a mild winter so far.  We got the kids so excited about being in Utah and all the snow they get to see and, um...not so much.  :)  Oh well, at least we got to go to the park a few times last week without coats on. And now that we are past the holidays when its really fun to have snow, I'm totally fine with skipping straight to Spring.  (Knowing my luck though, now that I've said that it will probably start snowing! :)
We had fun during the rainy weekend though. Forrest and I baked some cookies together.  He has always been my little helper in the kitchen and wanted to be included every step of the way.  
These are some of the January treats I've made with my new Kitchen Aid. Its incredible how much faster everything goes!  For example, when I made pizza for dinner, the Kitchen Aid was busy kneading the dough while I got the toppings ready.  Its seriously like having someone else in the kitchen helping me, I love it!  So many of you are into making fresh breads regularly and are such an inspiration to me.  I'm completely smitten with the idea of making fresh bread more often now that I don't have to do all the kneading myself (I know, I'm lazy! :) and am excited to try some new recipes...any favorites you want to recommend?  


On a completely different note, ha ha, I'm hoping to get in shape for the Rex Lee Run on March 17th. Dan's sister Emily and I are going to run it together...hey, any other Utah friends/family want to join us? :) I've been doing the 30 day shred to train for it because I can easily fit it into my day.  The current plan is to do level 1 in January, Level 2 in February and Level 3 in March with distance running and yoga mixed in. Its been soooo long since I've done a 5k and I've really missed running!  I'm glad I posting this because I need some accountability!  I enjoy working out but some days its easy to let it slip.  Hopefully by sharing this with you all, I'll stay motivated. :)

Well, thanks for checking in!  Andrew has been up to all kinds of cute things.  I'll get an update together soon.  In the meantime, how are you?

6 comments:

Emily Hagen said...

What a wonderful post...love all the pictures! I hardly worked out at all last week...we should get together this week to do the 30 day shred again...I think I've lost all my arm muscle already! :)

Your kiddos are darling, as always. Did you make butterhorn rolls? Those baked goods are making my mouth water!

Jean said...

Cute kids and yummy treats!! Yaaaaay!! Everything looks delectable. Hooray for mixers, right?! And kudos on the upcoming race! Tim is actually starting to train for a race in April!! Woohoo!!

Wendi said...

Yes, I agree about the Kitchen Aid. They last forever, too. Indispensable in the kitchen I think.

That's funny what you said about accountability--it's so true. I think blogs/Facebook/etc is becoming one of the most helpful tools in reaching your goals, because it's easy to let a lot of people in on your plans. Good for you. Personally I think running in the winter is a lot harder than it used to be!

Megan and Jeremy said...

What yummy treats you made!!! And don't you love having a helper in the kitchen? It makes cooking/baking so much more fun that way. I miss when Jeremy & I used to do all our cooking together before we had kids.

And good for you to run the Rex Lee & train for it! I think it helps to tell people too. I really want to start jogging again after this baby is born-thanks for the inspiration :)

J&C Hale family said...

Beautiful pictures. Best wishes on your race training. Someday I want to do that too. ;)

Sherrie said...

How in the world did I miss this post? I love it - that pic of Forrest with the mixer is adorable. Your in-laws were inspired to give you that gift! I'm sure that you'll get alot of use and get lots of great eating from using it.

Love Mom