If you are looking for a simple dish to accompany a sausage entree or breaded meat, Spaetzle is a great option. Spaetzle are traditional German dumplings. Have you ever had Spaetzle? This dish might be a good example of why not to judge a book by its cover :) I know the dumplings looks a little funny. The first time I made Spaetzle, I was certain I botched the recipe. But Dan reassured me to just try it, and I'm glad I did.
Spaetzle
Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 gallon hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions
- Mix together flour, salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Beat eggs well, and add alternately with the milk to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
- Press dough through spaetzle maker, or a large holed sieve or metal grater.
- Drop a few at a time into simmering liquid. Cook 5 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Saute cooked spaetzle in butter or margarine. Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley on top, and serve.
And another Fall favorite: Apple Crisp (sorry no picture, we usually eat it too quickly, ha ha! I'll have to get a picture next time :) I know there are a million and one Apple Crisp recipes. I've tried several over the years, but this one has become my favorite. Its a classic and easy to modify anyway you want.
Apple Crisp
| 4 | medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups) |
| 3/4 | cup packed brown sugar |
| 1/2 | cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour |
| 1/2 | cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats |
| 1/3 | cup butter or margarine, softened |
| 3/4 | teaspoon ground cinnamon |
| 3/4 | teaspoon ground nutmeg |
| Cream or Ice cream, if desired (Definitely Vanilla Bean ice cream...its a winner!) |
| Print these coupons... | ||||||
| About Concordance™ | ||||||
Total Time: 45 Min
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
- Spread apples in pan. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients except cream until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with cream.
I'm not used to sharing recipes but I thought maybe someone else is looking for something warm and Fall-ish before the big Turkey day with the traditional trimmings arrives. So, anyway :)
Things here are good. We were sick all last week (despite our efforts of getting flu shots) but we are happy and grateful that we got over with in time for the holidays.
Last night, there was a giant wind storm and the power went out just as we were putting the kids to bed. At first, the boys didn't know what was happening and started to cry. It was only moments though before Dan had lit several candles and we invited them to pull their big, cozy blankets into the living room to camp out. I read them a story while Dan made a fire in the fireplace. The boys started to actually enjoy snuggling in their blankets in the dark and fell asleep. Then Dan made hot chocolate and pop tarts on the bbq for us. It made me laugh and was the perfect late night snack. After putting another blanket on Addi, who was already sleeping, we headed for bed. Then, just moments later, the power came back on. And I was kind of sad when our little adventure ended, but it was fun while it lasted :)
Oh, also...I wanted to be sure to let you know of a free holiday printable! Maybe you've seen it at smitten. I'm so excited about the Thanksgiving printable cards and "cupcake topper" type tags we made. You simply Print. Cut. Decorate. SO easy!!! And such an easy way to personalize your table settings for Thanksgiving. You can write your family members names on them for place holders, or label anything you'd like on your Thanksgiving table (Great for any large gatherings where there are a lot of choices). Etc. There are so many ways you can use them! :)
Here's the link to the printables: Thanksgiving Printables
Thanks for updating your blogs and keeping in touch through email. The holidays come alive when I get to hear from everyone!
2 comments:
Ooo, I'm definitely checking out those printables. I love the stuff you guys make!
Mmmm, these recipes!! I had spaetzle for the first time at the Hanson's house in Wymount. It's so good!!!
Post a Comment