
Our Halloween weekend was great! Our ward had a hoppin' Halloween party on Friday night. They went all out decorating all the classrooms with halloween decorations, lights and music for trick or treating. They also had some fun Halloween activities set up like sugar cookie decorating, pumpkin bowling and a haunted house. Our Bishop dressed up as Elvis :) For being a small ward, I was uber impressed with the effort everyone put in to make the night special for the primary kids. You would of never guessed that the kids "missed" Halloween on Sunday with how much festive effort was involved. Big props to the ward!! I'm so grateful for members of the church that go above and beyond in their callings and really extend so much love and kindness to young people!!! Our family has been, currently are, and will continue to be sooo grateful and blessed to benefit from the example of many wonderful people throughout our lives. I know I continue to draw on the strength of the examples I have had throughout my life! {Thank you!!!}
On Saturday night we had a little party of our own. We started the evening with the traditional Peterson mummies :) We didn't get to the spider rolls or ghost potatoes, bummer! (We definitely don't want to miss out on those next year!) We added the apple, caramel and marshmallow lips (see picture above). The lips were sooo fun and easy. They were a hit!
Then Dan organized a cupcake walk for the littles. My Mom delivered the music and the number calling. The kids all got so excited running around the numbers and would cheer with surprise and delight when their number got called. Its hard to describe how I felt watching them. It was pure magic! Here they were so happy with such a simple cupcake game. Its moments like that when I just remember how much I love these precious children. I'm so grateful the Lord has trusted us with such beautiful spirits that find complete and utter happiness being together and playing little games with us. I need moments like this. Its validating. Its seeing Andrew's eyes light up when he finally hears his long awaited number called, and hearing Forrest giggle with anticipation as he deliberates over which cupcake to choose that makes the ups and downs of parenting so worth it. I'll tuck that memory away for the late nights when I dread going to sleep because I honestly wonder if I have enough energy to get up and do it all again, ha ha. Whew...its all worth it! :)
So, back to our party. After a healthy dose of the monster mash, we organized a little in-house trick-or-treat. My mom led the troops to different rooms in the house where my Dad, Dan and I were waiting in costume. We had so much fun running around throwing together impromptu costumes in-between knocks. I came up with a robot (a laundry basket turned upside down on my head with a storage bin lid on my tummy) and a kimono (a blanket wrapped around me with a pillow on my head with a couple of Japanese greetings thrown in) Ha ha! Good times had by all! :)
And finally, a picture of my Kindergartner, Andrew. He got to go on his first field trip to the pumpkin patch and pick out his own pumpkin. He was so excited about it! Its unbelievable to me that I have a kid in kindergarten.
Speaking of kindergarten, this last week Dan and I went to parent-teacher conferences. It was surreal to be sitting on the other side of the table as a parent. I haven't talked much about Andrew in school yet. So many of you have been such great support to us, and have asked about how its going. I'll give a quick update but please don't feel obligated to read it :)
The first week of school was challenging! There were so many adjustments from riding the bus (quite a ride because we live about 20-30 minutes from the closest school) and going to school full day (because his class is a K-2 combo). Before school started Dan and I really deliberated about whether or not Drew was ready for such a big adjustment. The kids and I were all pretty content to keep things as they were. I thought perhaps I would keep Andrew home with me until our family plans were solidified and then enroll him in school after we moved. As the time to decide drew closer, I started to feel a tug. I kept thinking about how as Andrew has gotten older, he's become a more independent learner. Where Forrest just eats everything I teach up, Andrew will take instructions for a few minutes before he's ready to do it on his own. He's a fast learner and is excited to figure things out for himself. Its great! But its made direct instruction very difficult. He still loves playing pretend with me, so I can still teach him through play and he's still motivated by stickers and stamps, so that works too! :)
As we researched the school and weighed the pros and cons, the choice became more and more clear. We all needed the growth that came with the start of school. It was one of the most difficult decisions we've had to make as parents. There have been some great blessings along the way. Andrew's teacher is wonderful! He is kind and organized and experienced. His teacher has helped his adjustment tremendously. Andrew's teacher told us at the conference that Andrew will often raise his hand and participate in the second grade math and reading lessons (and gives the right answers!) He's making friends and is a quiet, and excited learner.
It also makes me realize that we'll probably never live this far from an elementary school again. Phew! It will get easier. This was definitely not what I had in my little teacher brain as my ideal but its worked out great so far!
And, as a blessing and a bonus, I still get my teaching fix! Forrest, Addi and I do preschool twice a week and on Fridays (oh! I forgot to mention that Andrew doesn't have school on Fridays--it rocks!) Andrew, Forrest and I do a handwriting (we're practicing writing out our letters and numbers) and a culture lesson which Andrew really looks forward to. We've been reviewing the instruments of the orchestra and studying different composers. Its great to have that time together!
So thank you!!! Thanks again and again for reading all of this rambling and sincerely showing interest and caring about us! I'm so lucky to have such wonderful friends and family. I'm a little teary--I miss you all!!
I'll leave you with one of my latest obsessions, this ok go video is great! :)
PS Liz, they are performing with the Norte Dame marching band.



7 comments:
I LOVE THAT VIDEO!!! That field is right along my walk to campus that I took ALL THE TIME. This video makes me nostalgic for student housing again! And that's hard to do!
I'm so glad to hear the update on Andrew's school. I'm sorry that it was such a difficult decision (and about his bus ride - that's long!), but I'm glad that it has turned out so well. I love how invested you are in your kids' success. I can't imagine them being anything but brilliant, well-adjusted kids because of how in-tune you are with their needs. You are, once again, my hero!!
And the pictures are ADORABLE!!!!! Connor was also that same tiger this year. :)
Heather, "rambling"? No way. I've never heard anyone talk about the school decision making process with such eloquence. What a vote of confidence that Andrew can do well with the 2nd graders, academically as well as socially. I think that you can be really proud of your children Heather, without sounding prideful. We all know and love you, and your success and your kid's success is our success: I loved hearing about how well Andrew is doing. I have to admit, I find myself envisioning you living out in the country now if your closest school is that far away and the grades are combined like that! Wow!
All of the Go videos are superb. Have you seen the one on the treadmills and the obstacle course-ish one in the warehouse? Totally creative! XOXO
Wow, that video was awesome!! When band people just popped out of the grasses it was awesome!
You guys are so cute--I love your Halloween festivities! Those apple/caramel/marshmallow mouths are GENIUS. So, so cute. And the fact that you trick or treated at home, switching costumes--you are just too cute. You guys are such great parents, and you just GET kids!
I'm glad that Andrew's school is going well. How is he in Kindergarten already???? I remember him peeping out your window and smiling at me! I'm sure it's hard with the school being so far away, but I'm sure it's a great experience for him. Thanks for the update--we never tire of you!
What a cool video. I'd never even heard of that band...am I totally out of touch? :)
I loved hearing your update on Andrew. You could never bore me! I am happy to hear that your decision to send him to school has been such a good one. I know it's hard to let them go, but hopefully it will bring good things to his life!
Thanks for the Halloween rundown. I bookmarked your post for ideas for me for next year!
Wow, what a fantastic Halloween!!! You all did so many fun things! I especially love the cupcake walk and the trick-or-treating around the house. You guys are so creative and so fun!! I get great ideas from you. :-)
I'm glad that school is going so well for Andrew so far. It sounds like a loooong bus ride, but I bet you can see him growing and learning in so many new ways! That's so exciting! And I'm glad that you're still doing Peterson's Preschool with the younger kids. You rock, Heather!! If only I could enroll Weston... :-)
How fun to hear from you! Oh your little ones are so precious. I still can't believe I've never met Addi. What an amazing mom you are. I kinda wanna hire you to come help my kids with all of their learning! No, but really, you inspire me to be better! Hope you guys have a wonderful holiday season!
p.s. This video put a huge smile on my face
Where to start!!
That video!! I love it! love love love it! thanks for sharing.
And I loved reading more about Andrew's schooling. I know we talked about it, but I'm so glad you wrote it out so I could read it again. I need to hear things like this - it helps me have more confidence in my decisions for Eli's schooling. Thank you for the inspiration! And I'm sending all sorts of validation to you about how hard it is to make that decision. Thanks for going first.
And the photos! Heather, you are amazing! There are adorable! I'm coming to your place for Halloween next year.
There was more...hmm...I LOVE YOU!!
Post a Comment