Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sweet Lil Sickie






Last Monday afternoon, my mom called.  We chatted for a while then she said, "Wow, you sound great!"  I laughed and replied, "Its because after two weeks of having sick kids, we're finally all healthy!  This is the first time, in quite a while that I've gotten a full nights rest!"  
 She said, "Well, I can tell.  You sound so much happier!"  
I smiled.  It was true.  I was!  I couldn't believe how much energy I had compared to the weeks before.  But like it always seems to happen, I would soon learn that I spoke too soon.  This week would prove to be a doozy.

Wednesday afternoon the kids and I came home from story time at the library and started eating our lunch.  It wasn't long before I noticed that Addi was getting warm.  I wanted to believe it was nothing and she'd be cooling back down in no time.  But it became easy to tell by early evening the fever had set in, and I knew, Adelaide was sick.

Wednesday night was rough.  She refused to sleep until nearly 12am only to wake up again at 3:30 am crying and miserable.  I spent the next hour rocking, swaddling, talking softly and humming her back to sleep.  She seemed to be sleeping quietly in my arms.  I was certain I had her asleep only to lay her down and hear her cry out again.  She wanted me to hold her.  Exhausted, I held her close.  Holding her hot body next to mine, I kissed and stroked her head.  I felt so bad for her.  It was a little a while before I finally laid her down again.  This time though, she huffed a content sigh, rolled over and nestled her head into her blanket.  As much as I wanted to climb back in bed and rest, I was feeling a little out of sorts.  I was worried for her, and I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to sleep anyway before she woke up sad again. Before I knew it, I saw the sun peeking through the window.  The long dark morning was making way for a new day. And I wasn't feeling ready to face the day quite yet...

Sure enough, when Addi woke up a little later that morning, she was as grumpy as could be.  I spent most of Thursday holding her, and comforting her the best I could.  I gave her some Tylenol, as well as a cool bath, which she loved, and it seemed to help distract her from her discomfort.  She splashed and even smiled a couple of times.  Dan and I took her temp and kept an eye out for any other symptoms, but oddly enough, it was just a fever. 

By Thursday afternoon the boys were growing restless.  Most of my time and energy for the day had gone to taking care of Adelaide.  The boys and I needed to do something fun. 

One of the boys' favorite stories is "Not a Box" by Antoinette Portis.  This is a brilliant story about a little rabbit who uses a cardboard box to create all kinds of imaginary things.  Its absolutely adorable!!  Its so simple. I had saved a box from the week before and the boys and I went to work, creating a castle.



Making a castle was just the project we needed!  After I cut the castle out and painted it, Andrew was so excited to help me decorate it. Then the boys went to town setting up it up.  When Dan came home from work, the boys were thrilled to show him what they had made and Dan was so cute with them, adding some of his own ideas.  Turns out that the castle is a on-going project for them :)

Friday was much the same as Thursday.  Adelaide needed my constant attention.  She was so warm and uncomfortable.  By early Friday afternoon, I was exhausted.  I hopped on Google chat to talk with Dan. He asked, "How are you?"  I answered, "Overwhelmed."  He said, "I'll be home in a minute to help out."

When he got home a few minutes later, I was in the bathroom with the kids, giving all three kids a bath together. He stepped in and said hello to us and then went to work straightening up, making everyone snacks and boosting our morale with his happiness.  He even brought home a few movies for me to watch :)  It was just what I needed to make it through the rest of the day.

Saturday, Addi's fever started fading and it finally went completely away this afternoon (Sunday).  We actually started getting some genuine smiles and laughs around dinner time tonight.  I'm so grateful that she's feeling better!  I learned my lesson...I won't be telling anyone how healthy we are...I don't want to jinx it! ;) In the meantime, I will enjoy it while it lasts! :P 

12 comments:

Arianne said...

Oh Heather, I'm so glad for the update I've been wondering about you - sounds like the rest of the week was rough,what a bummer! I love your castle idea, you always amaze me, you are still so creative even on with major lack of sleep!

J&C Hale family said...

I really enjoy reading about your creativity and the way you cherish your children. Thanks for sharing. Hope you all stay better!

Lisa said...

Awwww, poor little Adelaide. And poor you! How hard that must be, to deal with 3 different children's sicknesses--you must NEVER sleep!

And that last picture--I just about squealed. She is just too CUTE!

Tiff said...

Oh, man! Empathy and hugs all around!

And you're castle is BRILLIANT! I have never been that clever, and especially not with sickness and sleep-deprivation over for a visit. Wow.

And that last picture is stunning.

Liz Johnson said...

YUCK! I'm so sorry! I'm so glad that she's doing better though. Having sick kids is the worst, man. Hopefully the rest of you will be able to avoid it!

Jean said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about all the illness!! I'm glad she's feeling better now!! It's hard for me with one child to endure an illness in the family, so I can only imagine how hard it is with three kids to take care of!! But that castle idea is AWESOME. What a fun, creative activity! And I adore that picture of Addi with the ribbons!! She is so precious!

Wendi said...

Addi is such a doll! So adorable! And your photos of your kids are always so beautiful! Sorry about the sickness. It always stinks when kids are sick. That castle is genius. I am totally going to steal that idea.

Maggie said...

GET some SLEEP! I am so sorry for the ongoing illnesses. Come, move to Texas! I'm telling you my Danielle went from getting high fever and throwing up sickness every 3 months, to maybe a fever once a year! Travis has had a fever once in his life...I don't know if its really Texas, but I seem to think so! I hate losing sleep though, its miserable and I dont' really know how to recover from it! LOVED the castle box. your so fun and creative and really the best mom ever!

hilary w said...

What an ordeal! It's almost worse with babies because you can't explain to them what's wrong and they can't lay on the couch and watch movies all day! I'm so glad Addi is feeling better. I just hope you don't get it!

Dan is the man! What an awesome husband!

Addi is SO DANG CUTE!!!

Lesley said...

What a rough 3 weeks you have had! Hopefully warm weather and health are in your near future.

I just love your photography. You life seems so beautiful! Probably because much of it is, right? Those three little kids of your are precious and I can tell you treat them that way!

I love the picture of the ribbon around her head! How pretty!

Abbie said...

Having sick kids is soooo hard! I'm so sorry! But I'm glad she's doing better and she is sooo adorable! I love these pictures, Hea! And I love her ribbon! Love these pictures!

AND the creative play! Are you kidding? When one of my kids is sick, we watch TV when we're bored. I need to follow your example! Way to go! And we need to go check out that book. It sounds awesome!

les said...

Once again - your many talents and creative blow me away! Good job hanging in there honey. Let me add my "way to go girl"s to the rest of your friends comments - the photos are wonderful. Looks like the Knights and Ghost Pirates have a real cool place to play now that they have their own CASTLE! Who needs $75.00 when you've got an imagination like Hea's!?!?!?!?!

Later sweetie,

Love Mom