Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Some thoughts...

Here are some pictures we took Saturday when Dan and I took the kids on a walk to the park.  Dan took the ones of the boys together on the bridge, on the rocks and holding hands.  I love them!  Can you believe how tall Forrest is getting?

I've been thinking about how its been over the years with these two boys...

I remember when I found out I was expecting Forrest.  I had so many different emotions.  Andrew was only six months old at the time. Dan and I were both so happy! We both felt it was right.  I was nervous because I was still adjusting to life with one baby, and it wouldn't be long before I had two.  Admittedly, I was also a little nervous what people would think, realizing that most well meaning family and friends would probably wonder why we decided to have our boys so close in age. For this reason, I held off telling even close friends I was pregnant again until I was nearly four months along.  I guess I figured by then I would be almost half way through the pregnancy and the pregnancies wouldn't look "as close" together...ha ha...that's pretty funny :)  And its important to point out that while we got the occasional, "are you crazy?" sometimes kidding and sometimes not, it never changed the way we felt.  We just knew... Forrest was meant to be a part of our family :) Luckily, we were also surrounded by so many of you who were sincerely thrilled for us and expressed so much happiness and confidence...ah, what a blessing your kind and encouraging words were to me!

One of my favorite memories of my pregnancy with Forrest was how much advice I got from other moms who had had kids close in age.  I loved it! I loved hearing the ins and outs of having two under two so I could try to mentally prepare myself.  I was told that it would be absolutely nuts to begin with but that with every passing year, it would get a little easier and the boys would eventually become best friends.  That advice couldn't have been more right on, it was crazy to begin with :P and yes, to my great relief, it has gotten easier every year. :)

Now, it seems that patience is being tried by a certain baby girl who doesn't like the idea of my being more than thirty feet away from her at all times...ah, just when I thought I was getting the hang of this parenting thing...yea, right! ;)

Its crazy to think that Addi is eleven months today!  She's so animated.  She loves to sing along with music, dance, climb up on things, eat, chase her brothers and try to take their toys away, giggle and cries dramatically whenever she can't see me.

After Adelaide fell sleep last night, I pulled out my prenatal yoga dvd to unwind a little. (oh, it was soo relaxing!  I'm in need of a new yoga dvd so if you have any that you love...please share!) It brought back so many wonderful memories of where I was just a year ago...preparing to have Adelaide.  I can't believe we're almost to the year mark...

That reminds me of what Dan's Mom, an incredible mother of seven, once told me about having little kids...the days pass slowly, but the years fly by!  I'm seeing more and more what she means...and trying to live in and enjoy each moment, even the difficult ones :)

10 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

I love that: "The days pass slowly, but the years fly by." That is really perfect.

I cannot believe how big Adelaide is already, and how big those boys are. It's true... having kids close together is INSANE, but my boys are finally (!!!!!!!!) starting to be friends, and it has made all of the insanity worth it. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

You're my hero, Hea. I hope you know how much I look up to you!

Lesley said...

What a beautiful post! I think I have felt some of the same feelings, but I loved how you said it all. I especially love the quote about the years flying by!

Ahhh.... alone time with a yoga DVD. That sounds like such a great way to unwind!

Jean said...

Wow, your boys look so OLD!! I can't believe how tall Forrest is getting, either!!

I LOVE that advice from your mother-in-law. It is so wise. Sometimes I wish it were the other way around, haha!! But it's true, we need to cherish this time while we have it.

I can't believe Addi is almost one!! Yay!

Tiff said...

Those pictures are MAJOR keepsakes! They'll bring them to college, on their missions, etc.

And that little Adelaide has some major peepers! Stay away, boys!

I can't imagine peoples' opinions have really ever mattered THAT much to you, Heather. You are kind-hearted and considerate, but you also know when you're right, you're right.... ;)

Lisa said...

Those pictures are so darn cute! Your kids are just so beautiful. I'm always drawn in to their eyes.

I'm ashamed to say that sometimes I find myself wondering why some people have kids close together and thinking that they're crazy or something... and then I think of my sweet Heather, who just knew that she was supposed to have another one. How can I argue with that? If I had promptings to have another one sooner, I would've done it. And here I am, having another one sooner than I always said I would (although not super close), and I find myself self-conscious about it, too. The other day I saw someone who I hadn't seen in a long time and they said, "You're pregnant AGAIN???" I was surprised at how embarassed I was. What do I have to be embarassed about? I had a little boy who needed to come now. The end.

Sorry, long comment. I guess my point is that you've taught me not to judge. Heavenly Father has different plans for all of us, and if someone makes a hard decision like that, props to them! They listen to the Holy Ghost!

hilary w said...

I love your thoughts on motherhood. I remember you telling us you were pregnant with Forrest after you were already several months along! I can't believe you braved the icky first trimester without telling anyone! Little Addi is so cute. Boys are girls sure are different, aren't they? :)

Abbie said...

Your boys being close together is just another example of you amazing faith. This is one of the things I love most about you - you were not afraid to follow a prompting to have another baby when you already had a tiny baby. You dove in and now look at them!

I can't believe that Addi will be one next month! It's so true: the days are long, but the years are short. How do they get big so quickly?

I really like Rodney Yee's AM Yoga., btw.

Love you!

Kristen said...

I love your post. I think I might put the quote from your mother-in-law on my fridge! I love it.

You are such an example to me in my life! Your blog always inspires me.

Megan and Jeremy said...

It's been so fun to catch up on your blog Heather!!! I loved your parenting thoughts. It's so true. Hyrum is only just 4 but I keep thinking how in a 1.5 years he'll go to school and I almost panic thinking I'm not ready to be at that point yet! How did he get this old so fast? It's been a good motivation to speak kinder to all of them & try & enjoy all the little moments, like you said.

I admire you for having your little boys close together! You can tell they are the best of little buds & so sweet. I want to make a playdate for our kids! Wouldn't that be fun? Addie is adorable (love the ribbon!) Did you guys get a new camera? When we're in the market for one, I'm asking you what kind you have & how you're so talented with it :)

les said...

Dear Heather,

Nice post. Love the pictures of course! You and Dan are a super-talented couple when it comes to taking great photos!

In MT and love spending time with the family of course...they are well. Little Codi sits on my lap and looks at my computer photo of the family at the beach and points to each person and wants me to tell who who they are and how they're related to her! I love it.

All is well with Trent and Lauri - I'll try to call you this weekend to check it.

Later, Mom