Yesterday, the sun was shining and it filled our eyes and our souls with light! It was awesome! We opened all the windows and basked in the warmth of the sunlight. This year we haven't had the traditional winter, with snow and ice and mittens (or muffins, as Forrest once said :) but we've had our fair share of blue, stormy days. Aw, it was a welcome change...even if it ends up being short lived :P
With the Olympics in full swing, I thought it would be a great time to share a few of the games the kids and I play together. :)
*For Bill Watterson fans, think Calvin Ball here. Most of these games were created on the fly by yours truly and appropriately named by Andrew (who also loves to change the rules and add penalties...ha ha!)
Dance Machine: I call out a shape form (high, low, big, little, curvy, straight, tricky) and make up some music, when I say "freeze" they have to stop and make their own shape form. Andrew added, if you move after freeze you get -10. Better watch out! :)
Russian-ilious (this game was entirely crafted by Drew): One person becomes the goalie. They have to guard the area below the Ikea bench, "the goal." We set the timer for one minute. The players have to pass the ball three times before they can shoot for a goal. If they make it, they get a point, if the goalie blocks it, the goalie gets a point. When the timer beeps, whoever has the most points wins.
Pattern game (Forrest's favorite): We start on level one which is a with a 2 x 2 pattern (ex: clap, clap, slap, slap), when the boys complete that we move to level two usually a 1 x 2 x 1 pattern (ex: clap, slap, slap, clap), then level three I usually introduce a new action, etc. We continue to move up in levels until it gets too tricky. Then we start taking turns leading it.
Forrest is so cute when he plays this game. He gets so excited when its his turn to make up the pattern. His eyes get wide and you can almost see the wheels turning in his little brain. He'll go along doing the same type of pattern we've been doing, then he'll stop, think for a second and add an awesome new move. My favorite was when he made one that looked like his hands were a picture frame around his face.
Robots and Aliens: Andrew makes a giant set up with trains, playmobil people and blocks as a little Robot city. Then he pretends his people are getting destroyed by the giant alien (Adelaide) who comes thrashing into the city, leaving utter destruction in her path. But not before she picks up and tosses a few characters on the way. Yesterday during this game, Andrew grabbed the Wall-e computer and instead of Wall-e being the sweet little clean-up robot, Wall-e joined forces with Alien Addi to take over Robot City. My little character didn't stand a chance! First she was swooped up in the clutches of the giant baby, slobbered on and thrown down, only to be sucked up by the evil Wall-e computer. The boys like my commentary along the way.
Dreamland: (Mommy's favorite:-) we set out all the toy bins (one for each category of toys). We say go and rush to clean up the toys as fast as we can. One point per toy. Andrew added a catch though...if you put a toy in the wrong bin, you get -5 points and have to start over. The boys love counting out loud and announcing who's winning. There may be a few times I "accidently" put a toy in the wrong bin so the boys can relish my defeat :)
Listening Game: A few weeks ago at the end of a long day, I was exhausted and getting frusterated. I had asked Forrest more than a few times to please stop pulling on the curtains. As I was about to send him to a time out, there was a brief flash of inspiration in the form of a question, "Have I really listened to him today?" I asked him to come over to me and simply asked, "How are you?" He smiled and came in closer. Just then, I made up another game. It was a two step listening game. I started, "Forrest, can you please bring me the ball?" He looked confused so I asked again. He brought it to me and I was SO happy! I started cheering, clapping and giving him high five! What an awesome listener! THEN the most important part!!! It was HIS turn. He got to direct me!!! "Mom, will you please...." This game went on for a half an hour. Andrew heard us playing and came in to join us. The boys had a lot of fun asking ME to do things and then cheering for me when I did them right. It was a nice change for me to make a big deal about what a great listener Forrest was instead of getting stressed that he wasn't listening. It made it a much happier way to end the day :)
And lastly, the mirror game: I simply put a mirror on the floor and giggle with delight as I watch Adelaide play with her reflection. You'll notice from the picture, she gives her mirror-baby kisses. I started this a few months ago and its been fun to see her become more and more aware of her little mirror-baby.
And to even things out so you don't think its all fun and games here, Lil Forrest spilled water on the Netbook I got for Christmas. Despite my acting quickly, the screen went blank and it appears the mini computer is well, toast. There's an ongoing investigation as to whether or not it was an accident ;) Either way, I kid that I'm taking it out of Forrest's college fund. What is that, like 20 more yards he'll have to mow to work off the debt? :)
The end.


13 comments:
First off, I just LOVE the pictures you take. Seriously, not only are your kids crazy cute, but the pictures are artistic! And little Adelaide, oh my goodness. I say it every time, but she is just too precious! And I LOVE that picture of Drew in black and white. That needs to be framed.
And I am just so amazed at how cute your boys' games are! And I love your "inspired" mommy moments. I've had times like that, too. When I'm just about to get mad, and then I'm struck with the best idea for Jonathan at that time. So nice.
Heather, can I clone you? I think I'm going to need a Heather around one of these days coming up...
Marcos and I just visited some very good family friends last weekend in a nearby town, and after spending almost the entire day straight with the 64-inch tv screen taking up the family's life, with its connections to a VCR, DVD player, Brazilian DVD player, some kind of video game thing, Wii, Blueray thing, etc. we had a long talk on the way home about the things that are going to be the center of our home. We've been tv-less for our entire marriage and we've compromised on Marcos getting 45-minutes of computer game playing time a week (I'm such a mean wife, but you know what? after he got out of the habit he rarely even uses his 45 minutes unless he's playing socially with a guy friend...). But I've had moments wondering what we'll do about videos, because we have ample computers that play DVDs (Marcos is a programmer), and I've seen so many people put on movies to babysit their kids or get even an hour of a break. But in our conversation on the way home, Marcos reminded me of your Friday night movie night with the kiddos, and we discussed the other types of toys we want to have around instead: ones that are ambiguous enough that they can inspire hours of creative play, just like trains and playmobile sets you have. I've never seen your home, but I think I love your set up for kiddo play options. And of course, throw in an engaging, energetic mommy, and you've got some happy kids. Keep writing about your ideas! There are mommies in the making, like me, who are always taking tips!
And thank you so much for posting on my question about birth prep. I went and found The Business of Being Born at our local library, and Marcos and I LOVED it. Honestly, the more I educate myself, the more I lean towards natural. It's just sort of incredible hearing the statistics of what's happening here compared to other countries. I was especially grateful that we watched the movie because we could see 4 or 5 births that were dignified, powerful and done totally naturally, and that has helped Marcos and I know what it can be like. If we go just on Hollywood, we only have the example of the unprepared, screaming, comical and totally out of control experiences that we don't want to emulate!
AMAZING! I love the pictures AND the games! Can I just ship my kids out to you for the winter? I'm thinking they would definitely be better off!
You're my hero!
Once again, the photos are A#1!!!!! You really have the eye for catches your children at their most adorable moments. Great Job Headle!
It's sure sweet of you to share your own family Olympic experiences - these are the things that your kids are going to remember about being little. Especially if you can find a way to tie in the Olympic theme music with the activites...every time they hear that song in the future, these activities will come to their minds.
We love you and your family and appreciate all the sharing that you do. I know it takes time, but it's obvious that it's not only refreshing for your family to be updated, but it's inspiring for your friends as well.
Hope to see you tomorrow after the dr. appointment. I'll call and confirm.
Later,
Mom
Heather, I am convinced that you are one of the most skilled and talented people at Motherhood in the entire world. I love hearing about all the fun things you do with your children, to bond with them and help them learn!! These games are AWESOME!!! I especially like Dance Machine and Robots & Aliens. You guys are so creative!! Thanks for sharing these - I'm going to try them with Weston, too!!
AMAZING photos! Love hearing about your games, you guys are so creative -no wonder Kallie LOVES going to your house!
I love all your pictures! What a talent! I would love to learn to take pictures like that.
Heather!!! The pictures are amazing!! You are so good with that camera!
And the games! Love them! Great ideas! I love when Eli makes up his own games and invites me to play with him. Childhood is so much fun and your example makes me want to create things that will make my kids' childhood even more fun. Thank you!!
Oh my gosh... just reading your blog makes me excited for kids! (Not for awhile though...) You are so creative and such a fun mom! I love seeing your blog and the beautiful pictures you share. It is always so uplifting and makes people happy.
I have to say that reading about your games, it made me think, "it must run in the family!" ha ha! Growing up my mom used to turn everything into a game. Much like you, my mom did the "hurry and see who gets the most points" games when we would clean up our toys, rooms, etc. This creative parenting never stopped all through my teens. :) She is the same way now with my dance kids. I can see my Grandma so much in her and feel like it must be a wonderful trait our family was blessed with from Grandma and Grandpa Brown!
I will have to keep a journal of your ides, so that someday, I can be as creative, and live up to all of my famiy's examples!
Thanks for letting us be a part of your blog!
GORGEOUS pictures, Heather! I always love reading your blog! Hey, now that we're living in Portland we really should get together with you guys sometime! :) Seriously, it's been way too long, and I haven't even met any of your adorable children. (OK, I think your oldest was a baby last time I saw you, but that was AGES ago). I'd love to catch up with you! Big hugs! :)
Gorgeous kiddos! Miss you!!!
Your pictures are just beautiful. You have such an eye for putting things together in just right way. Great games. Delaney and Brenna both secretly wish you were their mommy!
I love these pictures. I wish you could come take some for me. I need to get Lily's picture taken sometime, but I dread the whole process.
The curtains tidbit struck a chord with me. Ruth has really been giving me a hard time lately, but I know some undivided attention (other than when she's doing something I don't like) can make a big difference.
Post a Comment