Saturday, October 03, 2009

spicing up the weekends

Several months ago Dan and I were getting weary of hearing pleas from the boys to watch movies almost every day. Has anyone else had to deal with that?! It was becoming a huge headache. At times, it really was just easier to put in a movie for them, and give myself a little down time with the baby. One day, after philosophizing at length about our long term parenting plan, Dan and I decided to spin the whole situation positively and initiated Fun Friday (I know the name is totally cheesy, but its simple and the boys have taken to it :)

So, basically Fun Friday means the boys only watch movies on Friday. That way, its a special treat for them. They get out their blankets, we pop popcorn, sometimes we'll make treats or have a special drink. The boys love it! Its been awesome! We choose the movie together the week leading up to it and boys always look forward to what's coming.

We start the premiere after lunch. Its become a great way to kick off the weekend. Seriously, its made such a huge difference. Whenever they ask to watch a movie all we have to say is "Yes! Think about what movie you want to watch on Friday." Their free play has even become more creative since we've started this because they imaginary play for long periods of time, day after day.


{Ok, that was hilarious! I was just about to write that they've come up with some creative little schemes, when Forrest appears wearing this (above) and says, "Look Mom, I'm a robot." Ha Ha!!!}

After a couple months of Fun Friday, we started thinking it would be even better to devote more time and energy into reading. We usually read a few picture books during the day here and there and every night before bed. We decided though, that it would be a neat challenge to venture into the world of chapter books. We decided to start with the children's classic, Charlotte's Web.

I wasn't sure how the boys would do listening to a book with only a few pictures here and there. Forrest struggled to pay attention for long, (we'll stick with picture books for now) but I could tell Andrew was really listening and imagining the characters. And, he adored it!! He would always beg me to read just a little bit more before we put it away. He was absorbed in the storyline.

As soon as we finished the book, he started playing Charlotte's Web with everything, especially his farm animals. Here's one of the set ups he made. You can see Wilbur on the roof. Wilbur camped up on that roof for days. Then, next to Wilbur you can see a black feather. That's his Charlotte...I thought that was a pretty clever idea. :) The link-a-doo rings are Charlotte's Web. Not to mention, those farm animals had all kinds of interesting conversations. It was pretty funny to eavesdrop on those!


After a good week of this we decided it was time to host our own viewing party of the newest version of Charlotte's Web for Fun Friday. It is an adorable movie!! Have you seen it yet? I was really impressed with the music and voice talent.

There were some deviations from the book but the differences created great conversation for Andrew and I to compare and contrast the book and the movie. It was also fun watching the movie after already knowing all the characters and the storyline. I think the boys felt more connected with the characters this way too.

Now we are really starting to get excited to do this again. I'd love to hear any more chapter book recommendations you have! Please share away!!!

12 comments:

Metta said...

What a great idea, Heather! We have friends who do a movie night on Friday night, and it saves them a lot of grief too. I think you handled it so well!

I can't think of any books off the top of my head, but I'm excited thinking about the holidays coming up, and what kind of great holiday books are out there! Keep us posted!

Liz Johnson said...

That's a FANTASTIC idea! I love it!! I might have to institute something like this!!!

Lesley said...

What a great idea! Your and Dan are such cool parents.

Forrest makes a great robot!

Lisa said...

Wow, you guys are such great parents! Fun Friday! That's such a great idea! And I love imagining Drew imagining Charlotte's Web--that's so adorable!

Maggie said...

You are so awesome! I love the fun you have created while solving a dilemma. What a great inspiration. We just made a jump into chapter books, it was Dani's idea because she likes me to read longer at night time! We just finished Alice in Wonderland, but I don't know how interested boys are in it. It is such a crazy story and Dani actually was interested in it. I am thinking of getting the movie to watch. Also, I've totally starting watching some classics with her...Annie and Sound of Music. We spend all day singing all the cheesy songs...I LOVE IT! I feel inspired to try to cut back on all her movie time that she gets...thanks for sharing.

Abbie said...

BEST. MOM. EVER! Are you kidding me?!?! You are amazing! I love this idea! Seriously, wow!

Heather, I LOVE you! You make me a better mom!

hilary w said...

That is such a great idea! I feel like Jack watches a movie every day lately! I will definitely have to start something like this.

We have read a couple of chapter books to Jack. We really liked The Littles. It's about a family of miniature people who live inside the walls of a normal-sized person's home. Jack loved it! It really got his imagination going!

Wendi said...

Heather--thank you for this post! Ruth is only two but already she is a dedicated video watcher. I love your idea. I'm going to do that. Awesome.

I can't think of any particular book recommendations off the top of my head, but Roald Dahl's books were always big hits when I was in elem. school. Hopefully your public library is not too far away.

Anyhoo, I have been aching to call you but am having issues with my phone (Ruth dunked it in a cup of water and so I'm back to my old broken phone--the one no can hear me on). I'll have to get another one in not too long.

Smitten Blogs is looking awesome, by the way.

Rebecca said...

Cool idea, Heather! I used to love the Boxcar Children series when I was little. Maybe Andrew would like that too?

Marisa said...

I love the Fun Friday idea! I'll have to remember that when Brielle is older. That is so fun that Andrew enjoys picture books! He is such an imaginative boy!

Emily said...

Heather thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog, they really make my day. You are such a great friend! This is a great idea! I think a little less TV does every family some good! We didn't have cable the first 9 months we were married and I kind of miss that!

Becky said...

These are such awesome ideas! I get more and more excited for all the next stages of my childrens' lives! I love the imaginary play; the feather is so clever!!