Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Baby Fix




Adelaide's Birth Story

On Tuesday, April 7th, I had my 38.5 week appointment. I was surprised and disappointed to learn that I was developing symptoms of pre-eclampsia. My doctor recommended that we start an induction late Thursday night.

I had mixed emotions. On the one hand, I was incredibly grateful that my doctor was able to identify the condition early so that action could be taken immediately, but on the other I had been praying that I would be able to go into labor on my own and was disappointed that I would have another labor guided by pitocin. (Both of my previous births had been inductions and I wondered if I would ever be able to have a natural start into labor).

Later that night, I received a phone call from my amazing friend Liz. She reassured me that I could still take an active part in the labor process. It was such a comfort to me to realize that I didn't have to surrender my participation just because it wasn't my ideal way to start labor. I felt so encouraged after talking with her. Then, later that night I re-read Abbie's incredible account of Audrie's birth and felt surrounded by all of my friends and their support. I knew that Heavenly Father had heard my prayers and I could be flexible with the way things happened.

The next day, Wednesday, Dan and I decided to do a family trip to Target to pick up all kinds of fun goodies for the upcoming trip to the hospital (planned for late Thursday night/early Friday morning). Dan was so cute!! He took his time picking out a couple of outfits for our baby girl. It was so sweet to see him taking such an interest and getting so excited for her arrival. While we were walking around the store, I started noticing my Braxton Hicks contractions were getting stronger. The contractions were strong enough where I would have to stop and breathe. I didn't think too much about them though because I had been having contractions on and off for a week or two and was already dialated to a three.

After we got home and got the boys in bed Dan and I sat down to watch 30 rock on hulu. I started noticing the contractions getting stronger and more painful. I hesitated to mention it to Dan though because I just knew that it was probably in my head, and I didn't want to get my hopes up only to drink water, lay down and have the contractions disappear. I drank a ton of water and tried to go to sleep. I briefly mentioned to Dan that my contractions were getting stronger, but that there was no apparent pattern to them and they seemed to be really short in duration. Because he was taking Friday off to be with me during the induction, Thursday was a big day at work for him. He had a lot of work to finish off before the weekend. I didn't want to bother him with my Braxton Hicks so I tried to sleep them off.

After about two hours of contractions getting more frequent and more painful, I finally woke him up. He was quick to get up to help me and asked if I thought this was the real thing. I told him, that with all the study I had done in preparation for this, I honestly couldn't tell. I could no longer just breathe through the contractions and had to change positions to get comfortable. We spent the next hour timing the contractions and re-reading my books on false labor vs real labor. It was actually really funny. This was my third baby, but I felt like it was my first. We finally decided to call my mom at about 4 am. She was about an hour out and by the time she came, I was feeling pretty miserable. I had all these grand plans about how I would labor as long as I could at home, but by the time my Mom came, I was feeling pretty desperate for relief.

I had practiced all my Hypnobirthing breathing for months, so I'm not sure if it was exhaustion or pre-occupation, but I struggled to use any of the techniques I had learned. I just tried to get through each contraction. It was more painful than I ever expected. By the time we left for the hospital, my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and lasting for about 45 seconds. I dreaded getting in the car because I didn't like feeling constricted. I wanted to be able to move in any position that was comfortable. My mom arrived at 5:15am and it took me about ten minutes to get in the car. I just didn't want to get in. We arrived at the hospital at 5:45 am and I needed help getting to my room. I was already dilated to a six which surprised me. I wasn't exactly rational and still doubted if I was in real labor. I half expected them to tell me I was still a three and to send me home.

I immediately asked for the epidural. I barely got through the next few contractions before the medication set in. Once the epidural set in, and I had a few moments to think clearly, I was soo happy!!! I couldn't believe that I actually had gone into labor, on my own!!! I didn't need Pitocin!!! I was sooo excited, my prayers, and the prayers of my friends had been answered!!!! Dan and I were ecstatic that we were going to meet our baby girl sometime that day!! We settled in for what we expected to be a long morning. We chatted with our nurse for about an hour and then she left. I turned to talk with Dan and we were about to get out some cards when I felt some major pressure. I told Dan to hurry out and grab someone because things were changing. He walked out to the hall and called to my nurse. She came back and checked me only to find that baby was ready to come out! She called to the doctor on call who hurried in and set up as fast as he could. I was feeling a lot of pressure...to the point of pain. I really wanted to push. The doctor told me to hold off and to blow out the candles for about a minute and then he gave me the go ahead to push. I pushed maybe 3-4 minutes and then Adelaide was born at 7:18 am. Only an hour and a half after I had arrived at the hospital. The morning sun was shining through the window and I remember feeling incredibly happy that I was holding my little girl at the start of a new day....April 9th. One full day before my scheduled induction and nine days before her due date. Not to mention that she and Andrew got their own birthdays. (Drew's is April 10th--he's FOUR--but that's a whole different post :)

I can't believe its been almost two weeks since little Adelaide was born!! We are totally in love with her! I was pretty nervous about the transition from two kids to three and heard a lot of conflicting opinions about which is harder--the change from one to two, or from two to three...its still early but so far the transition from two to three has been significantly easier for me!! It has really helped that Forrest will be three this summer. He still loves cuddling with me, but can also break away and play by himself and with Andrew. My recovery has also been so much easier this time around!!

The boys have been so sweet with Addy. Forrest will rub her "lucky" head and they'll show her their favorite cars. Most of the time though, they are oblivious that she is even there. We'll see how the boys are with her once she can crawl around and take their favorite toys away :) I want to get some video of them each saying her name...its sooo cute!! Forrest pronounces every syllable...Ad-el-aide...its hilarious!!

She's been co-sleeping with us at night and its been a dream!! She's a happy sleeper so far and only wakes a couple a times a night to eat for a few minutes and falls fast asleep again. I know its early so I'll just enjoy this while it lasts.

We are SO GRATEFUL for the LOVE and SUPPORT you have each given to us and our family!!! We just love this beautiful season of Spring and the reminders of our Savior's Love in everything around us. Thank you for being such wonderful friends and family to us...we are overwhelmed with gratitude!

20 comments:

Abby said...

Oh I'm SO glad you were able to go into labor on your own like you wanted! And thank goodness you made it to the hospital in time! :D

She's beautiful!

Abbie said...

Oh, Hea, that was beautiful! I love reading birth stories! Excuse me while I grab a tissue.

I'm so so so grateful Heavenly Father answered your prayers the way you wanted Him to. Isn't it so amazing how involved he is with birth? Thank you so much for sharing. She is beautiful! I can't wait to meet her. CONGRATULATIONS! again and again. She is one lucky lady to be in your family!

Abbie said...

P.S. In some of those pictures she looks so much like Drew. In others she looks a lot like Forrest. It will be fun to see her own look develop. You two make BEAUTIFUL children!!!

Bridget said...

Congratulations, Heather! She is a beautiful little girl. Your labor and delivery sounds very similar to mine with Paige. Everything from the contractions to the hypnobirthing to the epidural to the quick arrival :)! I'm so glad for you that it went well and that you got to go into labor on your own.

Metta said...

Heather, congratulations! Oh, she's so beautiful... what an excitement to have a little girl to help you balance out the girl power in your home. I am sure she will grow up like her mother, and be an example of absolutely incredible faith, kindness, thoughtfulness and power. You GO GIRL!

Natalie Francis said...

Just wanted to say congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful and you will love every second of doing the girl things... dressing her up, doing her hair, talking (girls never, never stop talking). Love you!

J&C Hale family said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. I'm so glad you got to have a good experience with it. Way to go!

Jean said...

Heather, Adelaide is BEAUTIFUL!! I love these pictures!! What a little angel!!

I LOVE your birth story too -- thanks so much for writing it! It sounds like things could not have gone any better - you went into labor on your own, she ended up coming REALLY quickly, and everything was A-OK!! YAAAAAAY!!!!! I'm so glad that Drew and Forrest are so sweet with her, and that the transition to 3 has gone so smoothly. What a dream! Tim and I are so happy for you guys!! We love you!! :-D

Maggie said...

Congratulations Heather! I just love looking at this little cutie. I love little boys, but being from an all girl family there is always a special place in my heart for little girls. Cute little dress too! I wish I could come visit youa nd see you and your wonderful family. I am laughing at your story at the questioning of if you are really in labor...I have the same problem. I was sent home when I was in labor with Danielle AND twice with Travis...ha ha ha. Talk about confusion. And I have to say, I love the epidural. I didn't do one with Danielle, but I did with Travis because Elias was in another state and my sisters were there and I couldn't focus. Once they gave me an epidural I was in Heaven. I am glad things went the way you had prayed. With your kind of faith you should realize that they always will! I miss you and being around your influence...you always make me a better person!

Lisa said...

What a wonderful story!! Oh, when I read about you seeing the sun on a new day with your new girl--I got all teary! What a great story, and I'm sooooo glad that you were able to go into labor on your own. You go girl--you did it! And she is just too adorable. I'm so happy for you guys!!!

Sarah H said...

Heather,
Thanks for your comment on my blog. That's why i have it open--I love to find old friends through blogs. I check out your blog occasionally too!
So how fun to come to your blog and hear the beautiful birth story of your daughter! Congratulations! She is so darling. It is so fun having a girl, you will love it! What a great story. That is so awesome you went into labor on your own and that she came so quickly! Congratz again!
Sarah

Steve and Mona said...

Such a sweet story for a sweet little girl. I am so glad things went so well for you, it seems this little one will bring so much joy to your family. Enjoy each moment, it goes so fast and Happy Belated to 4-year-old Andrew! You deserved to have this be a perfect delivery. Congrats!!

Liz Johnson said...

Hea, you did GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud of you and am so excited for your wonderful birth. I love reading this!!! I'm so glad that you had such a great experience, and I am so excited for you!! You are already a GLOWING mother of three!!! I love you!!!

Megan and Jeremy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your birth story Heather!!! I have been so curious. I love it! Yet another testimony that Heavenly Father answers our prayers. I'm so, so, so glad things went the way you wanted them to go. I'm so excited to hear more adventures of the Peterson family with your THREE kids! She is just beautiful and is so lucky to be in your family :)

hilary w said...

Wow...what a miracle story! I'm so glad to learn all those wonderful details! This inspires me to finally post my birth story.

She is so beautiful! She looks so much like your boys, but a perfectly feminine version. I LOVE that our girls are only a week and a half apart! It will be so fun to watch your blog as our babies grow up.

Emily said...

She is so gorgeous! thank you for sharing your story Heather! I hope all is going well. I just love her name too.

Wendi said...

Sheesh, I should read your blog more often. Congratulations--I didn't realize your baby came a week early! That is terrific. We're glad all is well.

Kristalyn said...

Congratulations! Adelaide is beautiful! I love her name! Thank you for sharing your story...how wonderful that your prayers were answered. Do you think you want to go into labor on your own for the next one?

The Kammeyers said...

Happy Mother's Day to a beautiful mother of 3!! :) Hope you're having a wonderful day, Heather! You deserve it. Love you!

~Lauren

Alison said...

Heather - she is beautiful!! Looks just like her mom. :) I followed your blog from Maggie's. Send me an email and I will invite you to our blog. sorenmay@gmail.com
Enjoy your little girl - so fun!