So, I thought in an tribute to my time as an elementary school teacher, I'd have a little show and tell. :D Here are some AMAZING resources I've found to be real treasures in the day to day with our littles. I'd LOVE to hear any other great ideas that you know of as well!! PLEASE, share away!!
This book is AWESOME!! We used it when I worked in the BYU preschool. Its organized by themed units, each lasting about 10 days and jam-packed with SUPER EASY activities that you can do with your kids on a moments notice. The book was originally designed for preschool teachers, but can EASILY be adapted by moms. (There is also a Toddlers and Two book).Some days I'll be more formal with my preparation and actually get materials ready, other days I'll just grab the book and get started. Its super easy to open to a unit for a few minutes and find several activities you can do in an instant.
If you are interested in doing something like this with your little one(s), it can be as involved or as laid back as you'd like. Here's what I usually do, although I will modify it from time to time.
I prefer the mornings. Its just a nice way to start the day. After the boys eat and play for a while, I tell them a few minutes before we get started that its time to clean up our toys. That signals that "Circle Time" is about to start. Then we sing "The More We Get Together" and the boys get their little chairs and I sit next to our easel.
Then we say, "Good Morning" and talk about the lesson topic for that day. We have an opening prayer, talk about weather bear and then I give a short 5-10 minute lesson, usually involving a visual or two with the easel for them to me help with. Sometimes I add in an enrichment activity (either from the book or one that I've thought of to review what we've learned.

For this unit on trees, we made a diagram of a tree and talked about each part. Then we did a shared writing as the boys told me what kids of things trees do to help us. Half the fun for Forrest was erasing our masterpiece ;)
For this unit on trees, we made a diagram of a tree and talked about each part. Then we did a shared writing as the boys told me what kids of things trees do to help us. Half the fun for Forrest was erasing our masterpiece ;)
Then we have "Music Time" which is also about 5-10 minutes. I choose the first two songs, then they both get to choose a song. Sometimes we make up songs about tractors or dinosaurs or whatever they are into at the time ;)
Then we have "Story Time" where we read a book or two. The Resource Book has a lots of great children's literature titles for each theme that can be checked out from the library, or I'll just read a book we have at home. Then we have snack time. About once a week or so, I add in "Art Time" during the afternoon where we make an art project. You could also add in any other special topics you'd like to learn together too.
Drew LOVED this activity because I gave them paper and had them TEAR like crazy. We made this tree collage and talked about the parts of a tree.
Drew also enjoyed talking about how bugs live in trees, so he insisted on making caterpillars and butterflies.
The key for me is keeping pretty informal and fun. Its a great way to break up the days and feel like we are progressing together. The boys seem to enjoy learning about new topics too and it keeps life interesting for us :D
Another recommendation that I just can't say enough is the site Starfall.com Oh, the boys and I ADORE this site!!!! Seriously, check it out, your little one will LOVE it too!!! It was one of the GREATEST FINDS I ever made. Drew was less than a year old when I found it, and from the very start we feel in love with it. It starts at the ABC's and has interactive games, songs and flash videos introducing each letter of the alphabet. Speaking from a teacher's point of view, the emphasis on phonemic awareness and reading comprehension make it an excellent teaching tool! But the kids have so much fun, they don't even realize they are learning. There are also a TON of fun holiday games and activities as well. :) It would be a DREAM come true to donate a small fortune to this site!! I am VERY impressed with the VISION for literacy they have, I think you will be too!!!
Thanks for listening!! Does anyone else get excited about the start of a new school year? I'd love to hear anything and everything you'd like to share :D
16 comments:
Thank you so much for this post! Having been a full time teacher I too miss it so much. Remember, you were the reason I went into Elementary Ed! Thank you so much! I've already bought Lilly new "school supplies" for our mommy school time we have each day. I love it! This week I have also decided to start teaching preschool out of my home. It will only be 2 days a week, each 2 hours with 5 kids (including Lilly) and I am so excited. Thank you so much for the great ideas and the books you shared. You're amazing - as always!
You are my hero!! I can't wait to discuss our ideas and our lessons together... I'm so excited to get started on all of this!
Along with Liz, you are my hero! You are so inspiring, Heather, in so many ways. I am with you. I get really, really excited about fall and back to school time. I absolutely get it!!!! I loved my time teaching second grade but in some ways I'm excited to teach 8th grade. I think you are an amazing Mom and I REALLY LOVED this post!!!! Thank you for being a tremendous example to me. Your energy, testimony, intelligence are truly great blessings.
This post is AMAZING! I truly appreciate all of your ideas. I know you are one gifted teacher so hearing what you do with your boys on a daily basis is really motivating! I will definitely have to check out that book.
One book I picked up recently was, "Mommy, teach me!" by Barbara Curtis. She has a whole section of preschool learning activities but my favorite part of the book was her inspiring words! She tells you that Heavenly Father sent your children to you because YOU are their best teacher. So motivating!
AMAZING!! I need to get back on the teaching train.
Love that quote, Hilary!
Here's another website I love using!
http://funschool.kaboose.com/
What a great post, Heather! How awesome to apply those great skills of your's at home. :) You are fantastic!
Thanks for the great recommendations. I look forward to reading the book and checking out the website. Maggie thinks so highly of you. She told me to check out the "back to school" section of your blog...and she was right...it is wonderful. Thanks again!
Heather you are truly amazing and I am going to find that book somewhere and recommit myself to doing some sort of structured activities with Hyrum! You are so inspiring!!!!
You guys make me miss wymount it is so fun to here little bits from everyones life. Heather you are amazing. I want to be like you!
Thanks for keeping in touch
Heather, you are SO amazing. I love your preschool ideas!! Drew and Forrest are so lucky to have such an engaged mom who's so focused on educational activities. You are my idol!! I really want to use the ideas in that book and come up with similar simple lessons for Weston when he's older. :-)
I love the fall too!! Not because I miss going back to school, but because I love school supplies. Is that weird? I should get a job at OfficeMax or something. :-P
I loved reading this post! You never cease to inspire and amaze me. I am just getting started with a program from letteroftheweek.com to try to add some structure to our day. I think I'll incorporate your ideas in there too! Thank you!
I have been getting sentimental as well, I miss my students! You are such a fun and creative mom! When I have kids I will look back at your blog for ideas! You are inspiring!
Wow, Heather! You're an amazing mom, and you totally inspire me! I'm going to start looking for an easle and table or craigslist now. Your boys will be at the top of the class for sure when they enter school!
Thanks for your congrats Heather! You'll have to share some words of wisdom on being a mom!
Heather...we miss you! I hope that everything is going well. I can't wait for a new post!
Post a Comment