
Bailey is amazing!! I can't believe how mature and articulate she is for just finishing the sixth grade. She volunteered 90 hours of community service as part of the Young Heroes program, which she joined in January. With this program, she volunteers three Saturdays a month from 9:00am-4:30pm for a variety of charitable and non-profit organizations. And she told me that she even enjoys things like picking "invasive plants" like Ivy from city parks. She earned a silver pin and certificate from President Bush and the White House.
She also wakes up every morning at 5 am, by her own choice, to arrive at school by 6:30 am to help the teachers set up for their classes. She stays after school for two hours, twice a week to participate in an advance placement math program, and on top of all this she gets excellent grades and has a ton of friends. I'm so impressed with her! It is purely out of her own initiative. When asked what she liked about the volunteering, she replied that it felt really good to contribute something to the community, and expect nothing in return and seeing the difference her service makes in the lives of others. Wow. I think when I was in sixth grade, I spent most of my time worrying about passing notes without getting caught. :)
My sister Shelley has extremely busy too! She helped found and organize the Jaguar Arts Festival, for Bailey's middle school and was featured in the Seattle PI just last week. They raised $3,000 to help support and celebrate the art program there. This isn't exactly new to her, she's been actively volunteering at Bailey schools since Bailey was a toddler. Having earned a double major in History and Sociology from the University of Washington, Shelley is a strong advocate for education, and an incredible example to me of what is possible with creativity, hard work and courage to forge new ground. Not to mention, she's hilarious!! She always keeps us laughing :)
It was of course a blast to see Mom and Dad too!!! They were so sweet to make the drive our way and save us some time and stress packing up the boys. I'm so glad Dad works close so we have a chance to visit with both Dan's parents and my own. We count ourselves very blessed.
I did happen to catch a couple pictures of Forrest wondering out in the grassland by our picnic table and taking Grandpa's dog, Cheyenne, for a walk.
A few shots of Forrest:
I have more to say, but since this post is already getting long, I'll call this good for now :)
8 comments:
FUN! I love it when family comes to town!
Your niece sounds so amazing! It sounds like she takes after her Aunt Heather quite a bit too. :)
Yay Shelley!! She's awesome!! You go girl!!
Great pictures of Forrest, too. I really like all the bright green grass in the top one -- so pretty!! :-)
I am so impressed with her! What an awesome girl. I must admit that I was much more in to passing notes at her age too! How fun to be close to both sides of the family :)
Hey Heather!!! So I was looking through other people's blogs and found yours. Crazy!!! I love it. Your boys are just adorable and I love all your pictures. Wow I miss you! I remember all the good times we had. So much fun!!
Oh my gosh! I love reading your posts! You see what is great in everyone around you and your passion and excitment really come through! I will love to meet your sister and her daughter. You are such a great example to me, Heather, and I love that we are able to keep in touch through our blogs. I'll email you one of these days and will also post more details about China. Hope your sweet family is doing great! We miss you.
That's cool about Bailey volunteering. Sheesh, when was the last time I did something just to help out? She's now my role model.
Terrific post. Thanks!
I know what you mean--we just went on vacation and I took ZERO pictures! I couldn't believe it.
I love that first picture of Forrest in the grass! So beautiful!
Your niece is incredible. What a great girl! I could definitely learn from her.
Oh course we're friends! You're one of my favorites, Heather. Absoabsoabsolutely.
Also, your niece looks eerily like my sister Beka. I'll try to find a picture to show you. But man--and she sounds like a rockstar too.
It's a good world with these younger women, I tell you. They make me want to be better. (As do you!)
Post a Comment