Monday, June 02, 2008

Mini Vacay

I just spent four amazing days in Dallas, Texas visiting our best friends, the Whites!!!

You are probably wondering how I was able to pull that off with two little guys of my own. That's a good question ;) Dan's family is amazing!! Kriste, Kate and Josh, Rachel and Amy all watched the boys during the day while Dan was at work. Our good friends Carly and Eric watched them during Dan's church meeting. It was such an awesome feeling to be able to spend quality time with the Whites, knowing that my kiddos were in such great hands!!! It was such a rare and special treat for me.

Oh, the trip was soooo much fun!!! We had lots of time to talk! I learned so much from their incredible examples :)

And Abbie does not look like she had a baby a little over a week ago. She totally rocked her natural birth and was as energetic and active as I've ever seen! If you know Abbie, you know exactly what I mean!!! Abbie is such a gorgeous and nurturing mother! Little Eli and Audrie are lucky little ones :D Here she is helping Eli sing the sunbeam song to Audrie. Aren't they adorable together?!


I was there to help her, right?! So explain to me why in the world she made me this delicious fruit pizza?!? It was unbelievably good!! I think I was addicted with the first bite :P



Audrie, is perhaps, the quietest little baby I've ever seen. I think I heard her cry once, for about 10 seconds. She is going on two weeks old now and is already starting to stay awake during the day. She is a very beautiful and happy baby girl.

One of my favorite things was to hear Eli say, "snuggle baby" and see him run over to his little sister. He would take her hand and smile. He adores his little sister already! It was so precious to see those two together.

Eli and I had so much fun together playing "guys and cars." He is such a sweet little boy!! I'm so glad that I got to spend some quality time with him. He is adorable!!

The flight home was filled with mixed emotions. On the one hand, I was so sad to be leaving this beautiful family, and on the other hand, I am so happy and grateful that I was given such a precious time with them. It was such an edifying trip!! With littles of my own, its not often that I can break away for some girlfriend time. Abbie and I had a blast talking, laughing watching chick flicks and talking 'bout our babes! It was soo fun catching up with Forrest too (I know Dan would of loved to join us!) Trips like this fall few and far between, so I'm HAPPY that it all worked out!! Thanks again to everyone that made the trip possible!!

I just have to include this shot from the plane just a few minutes from returning home to Portland!! Isn't that a beauty?! I think its Mt. Hood but anyone who knows better, feel free to pipe in :)



Lastly, I just have to say, that if you are ever feeling worn down by the daily of being a mom...take a couple of days away. When I got back yesterday, I could of played cars with Andrew and Forrest until midnight!!! I missed them so much, and it was soooo fun to see them again!!! Dan was such a sweetheart to support me and encourage me to go!!! I'm such a lucky gal :) I feel very refreshed after that trip!! :P

13 comments:

Jean said...

What a wonderful trip!!! Sounds so fun! Abbie is so lucky to have you, Heather! You are a wonderful friend. And so is she -- what a hostess, with that beautiful fruit pizza! Go Abbie, with your awesome birth experience and rapid recovery! :-)

And Audrie is so beautiful!! They are both adorable children. It must've been so fun to play with such little cuties, Heather! You are so cool!!

J&C Hale family said...

Heather, it is so fun to read the way you have recorded your experiences. What a fun opportunity!

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you got to go see Abbie!! And you're right--she looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!! And I can't believe she made that gorgeous fruit pizza either--I don't think I've cooked anything since Jonathan was born! Thanks for recounting your trip--that little White family is so cute!!

Liz Johnson said...

FUN FUN FUN!!!! I'm so, so glad that you got to visit Abbie and have some quality time together. You guys BOTH look great!!! I'm so glad that it all went well and that you had a great time. I bet your boys are glad to have you back!

Tiff said...

I have to admit, I have always been achingly jealous of you & Abbie's awesome friendship. I don't have many girlfriends who I have that much history with.. you guys are very blessed to have each other. And you both look gorgeous!

hilary w said...

What a fun trip! You are one lucky lady to get time off to visit a friend.

The pictures are great! I am so glad Abbie is doing well.

Wendi said...

That's cute about missing your boys. I get the same feeling after temple trips, and those are, what--maybe three hours long!? Ha, ha! I bet Dan missed you the most.

Lesley said...

What a great recap! I agree with Tiffany-- you and Abbie have a friendship to be envied! It sounds like everything was just perfect. And what great pictures!

Abbie said...

I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU!

Thank you so much for coming and taking care of us! I would have been a basket case without you! You let me sleep in - that is why my recovery has been so amazing.

Megan and Jeremy said...

Heather you are such an angel!!! And such an amazing friend, I'm so glad you got to go be with Abbie and her cute family-and it's totally true about taking a break to help you appreciate your kiddos. Sometimes I need a break and come home after an hour or two of doing something and I already miss my babies!

Emily Hagen said...

Heather, it sounds like you had such a fun trip! It's amazing how refreshing a couple days away from everyday life can be. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to go. I wish I could do the same...and come and visit you! I miss you, Dan, and the boys so much! 4th of July is coming up and I keep thinking of how much fun we had with you guys up in Murray last year. Any chance you will follow my parents back out to Utah? JK

The Kammeyers said...

Glad you were able to get away for a bit. What a fun trip! :) I definitely feel that girlfriend time is a must. (Hopefully I'll still be able to make time for it once little ones come along). :)

Love ya, Heather! Your blog is always so enjoyable.

Sarah Louise said...

Holy cow, I love you all so much. Specifically you and the Abbester. I would have paid money to lurk in the corners and eavesdrop on your greatness. (Though, I'll confess, I probably would have snuck some of the fruit cookie pizza when you weren't looking. Sad, but true.)

You and Abbie are two of the best women I have ever met. I am--I can't tell you how much it rocks that you are raising kids who will (heaven willing) grow up to be like you and your husbands.

And hopefully, even half as good-looking. :)