Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Actuary Game

Over the holidays, I created this game to reward Dan's diligent study. It was inspired by a game my cousin Tyson created when we were little called the Monster Challenge.

The object of the game is to move from area to area and defeat various creatures, gain abilities and mostly to enjoy some accomplishment for the long, difficult problems Dan's been working on during his test prep.



I never completely finished the board, but after many hours of work, I decided that it would have to do ;)


For each challenge Dan draws a battle card which tells him what he must roll to defeat the creature. With every problem he completes, he moves a space. For every problem he gets right, he earns gold which allows him to buy supplies to have additional chances to defeat the creatures. If he can't beat him, he has to do another problem and then try again. When he successfully beats the challenge, he gains a victory card, ie a reward from me :D


Over the weekend Drew wanted a game too. So here's the five minute version I made for him. :)

11 comments:

Abbie said...

Are you kidding me? That is so cool. Dan is a lucky man. Hea, you're so great!

pitterbecky said...

Heather,(I got here from a link on Abbie's page, I'm Abbie's old roommate Becky from Brookview), Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that it's awesome you made that game for Dan. Pat is studying for actuarial test #7 and I have never done anything as kind or thoughtful as that! Good luck with the test...those are some long study hours!

Abby said...

Wow! That is AWESOME!

Wendi said...

Hey, that reminds me. I gave Kelly my scanned pictures of Monster Challenge and he's redoing the dice probabilities so hopefully we can play it again. Jennette is redoing the monsters in Adobe Photoshop. It's going to be a surprise for Tyson.

Cool blog--I'm glad you put the game on there. Life needs to be fun!

Megan and Jeremy said...

Heather you amaze me all the time! What a lucky man Dan is to have such an awesome, creative wife!!! I miss playing games with everyone!

The Kammeyers said...

You are so creative, Heather! I love it!

P.S. When you've got a spare moment, I tagged you on my blog! :)

Kristalyn said...

Heather, you are so creative...Dan is very lucky to have you! I'm sure that it makes it so much easier to study when he can do it with a game like that! Sometimes I think of creative things to do, but my problem is following through with them...good work! :)

Lisa said...

You are too great! Dan is a very lucky man :)

JonathanJeni said...

Heather, you're out of control! I would love to be reborn into your family. We would have a blast. :)

Qian Jia Ting said...

You are seriously one of the most thoughtful people I know. You and Dan are just the sweetest couple and I think it is amazing that you made that game for him. I love seeing your lives through your blog. It's the next best thing to seeing you in person, which I hope we will someday!

Emily Hagen said...

Heather, can I just say, you are adorable!!! I think it is so sweet that you made a game to show your support and encouragement for Dan...he is so lucky to have you for a wife! I miss you, Dan and the boys so much! Are you sure you don't want to move back to Utah now that my parents might move here? haha I know we would love it! Well, hopefully we will see you sometime this summer. Keep the blog updated...we love it!