Monday, January 28, 2008


President Gordon B. Hinckley

I have been debating all day whether or not to blog about the passing of our beloved prophet. It is so close to my heart and my words feel too weak to express my love and appreciation to this incredible prophet of our church, President Gordon B. Hinckley who passed away last night. After reading several of my closest friends testimonies, I feel it is important to add my own.

I know President Hinckley was a true prophet of God. He was the prophet of my generation. He was ordained as the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1995. I was in high school at the time. I remember discussing the change with my friends. We were so excited to have his optimism, and his loving example to guide us through our youth.

He was the hardest worker I've ever seen. Many of his younger, closest associates often confessed that they had a hard time keeping up with him. His life was illuminated by his living testimony of Jesus Christ.

His words always inspired me to become a better person. He never failed to find the sunlight in the rainy seasons of life. He taught with love and compassion. He believed in the best of people, and their ability to improve. His testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, radiated in all he did. He never failed to offer uplifting words that lifted my eyes toward heaven and made me want to repent and become a better person everyday.

His devotion to strengthening the members of the church was tireless. He traveled all around the world many times to personally teach and testify of the Savior to them. His sweet sense of humor, always brightened the mood. He understood people and the real trials they face.

I am so grateful for his amazing example in my life. As I told a good friend today, he truly has left a legacy for us all to follow. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for the chance I've had to learn from his incredible example. He will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

The Kammeyers said...

I was happy to see that someone else posted about our dear prophet! President Hinckley will be truly missed, but it's comforting to know the work continues forward. Thanks for sharing this, Heather! I have always been impressed by your fellow love of the Gospel. :)

Wendi said...

Well put. I couldn't agree more. Thanks.