Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Village and Snow Day



How was your Thanksgiving?  I hope you are all well!  Our Thanksgiving was great! We had some really cold weather leading up to the big Turkey day so we decided to get an early start on some of our Christmas decorations.  We put together a Christmas village!  My Dad is so sweet--he even crafted a little Santa's workshop for the kids.  We made it out of Playmobil characters so that the kids can play with it to their hearts content and we don't need to worry about them breaking anything, ha ha!  Its been so fun!  Its been such a hit that I'm hoping to add a little more whimsy each year with decorations, villagers and shops.  

The boys love to pretend their people are going to a Christmas party.  Dan had the wonderful idea of putting a wooden train around the perimeter.  I love watching the boys push their little train around the village, its been so sweet!  Adalaide loves the horses!  She picks up all the horses and puts them in the dollhouse and clicks them up and down.  Its pretty funny to see her little hands try to grip five horses at once.  She usually settles on the baby colt, which is easily her favorite.

Andrew also loves taking all the evergreen trees and arranging the trees into a "forest" so his characters can pick a Christmas tree.  I love that he remembers our tradition.  We're in the planning stages of doing it again this year.  It turns out since we live in the forest, we can get a permit and pick up to a 12' tree for $5.  Ha ha!!  Where does that ever happen?  I guess living in the boondocks has its perks! :)

Its been pretty cold here the last week or so.  Here are a couple of pictures of the kids around the house:



Addi sports her monkey pjs

Boys score some bonus time on Nick Jr.

So speaking of cold weather...whew! Last week, Andrew's school was canceled twice due to snow and ice.  We took advantage of a rare treat and had a snow day.








I love my little Peterson family :)  It was a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

9 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love your Christmas village. That's so beautiful! What amazing memories you're creating!

Tiff said...

There's something about you and your family that makes me toasty inside... :)

Metta said...

Oh, wow. I've allllways wanted a Christmas village. I look for little homes every time I go to the thrift store at Christmas! When I grew up my grandmother had little houses for her village that were from all over the world, and now I have it in my mind that I have to travel to find my little European village, but maybe I should just go to thrift stores more often. What a good idea making them play friendly. I always loved the caroler figurines too. If I find some I'll send them your way. Happy holidays Heather! XOXO

Lisa said...

How wonderful!! I want to play with your cute kids. They're so precious!
They are all so cute, but I have to say, that little Adelaide literally takes my breath away when I see her. She is just so GORGEOUS! She looks like an angel. Happy Thanksgiving!

Abbie said...

I knew when I saw "swiss family peterson" in my reader that I needed to prepare my eyes for amazing beauty. HEATHER! HEATHER!! Come take pictures of my kids! Please?!?! No, I'm moving there. Stay where you are, I'll be there soon:) You make everything magically. I love you! And Addi looks sooo big! What happened!?!

I love you and I miss you!

Megan and Jeremy said...

What a fun snow day you guys had! I love the sledding picture, you can tell how much your kids love each other in these pictures!

And I want to copy your Christmas village idea!!! What a way to bring in the holidays!

Jean said...

Awww, the kids are all so beautiful!! And what a spectacular Christmas village!! Oh man, if I were a kid again, I'd stare at that for HOURS!!

The Qian Family said...

Precious pictures and I love how you ALWAYS make the very most of every holiday. I love the little glimpses into your life. Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family, Heather!!!

Dustin & Kylee Nickerson said...

Your Christmas village reminds me so much of Grandpa Brown! Oh how I loved visiting each Christmas to see "the village" and find whatever new piece he added each year! What a wonderful memory!

Once again, your pictures are BEAUTIFUL! I think you should start photography professionally! You just have a gift! Merry Christmas!!