Friday, May 28, 2010

mini post: flowers and prayer


I took these pictures of the flowers on a recent walk during one of the very few times within the last couple of weeks that it hasn't been raining.  Its been raining and raining and raining!


I hope you don't mind if I share a few brief thoughts with you.  Its usually something that I would write in my personal journal, but I feel like I should share it here.

An excerpt from Sister Beck's most recent talk:

“And upon the Handmaids in Those Days Will I Pour Out My Spirit”

"...Many answers to difficult questions are found by reading the scriptures because the scriptures are an aid to revelation. Insight found in scripture accumulates over time, so it is important to spend some time in the scriptures every day. Daily prayer is also essential to having the Lord’s Spirit with us. Those who earnestly seek help through prayer and scripture study often have a paper and pencil nearby to write questions and record impressions and ideas. 

**my thoughts:  I love how she emphasizes spending time in the scriptures every day.  It seems that the areas I need to work on come alive for me when I am pondering them on and off for days, rather than just moments.  Also, about writing spiritual experiences down...I always think of Elder Scott.**
 
Revelation can come hour by hour and moment by moment as we do the right things. When women nurture as Christ nurtured, a power and peace can descend to guide when help is needed. For instance, mothers can feel help from the Spirit even when tired, noisy children are clamoring for attention, but they can be distanced from the Spirit if they lose their temper with children. 
 Being in the right places allows us to receive guidance. It requires a conscious effort to diminish distractions, but having the Spirit of revelation makes it possible to prevail over opposition and persist in faith through difficult days and essential routine tasks. 

Personal revelation gives us the understanding of what to do every day to increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek those who need our help. Because personal revelation is a constantly renewable source of strength, it is possible to feel bathed in help even during turbulent times."

This is such timely and beautiful counsel for me. There are so many powerful principles in this talk for me to ponder and set goals to improve.  This idea that personal revelation can break through and help us overcome the challenges in our lives when we are willing to ask for it, receive it and follow it is such an exciting one to me!!

I can never do enough to acknowledge the Lord's goodness and kindness towards me.  I never deserve it and I'm always so grateful for His long suffering towards me.  I struggle with things that others might consider pretty silly.  I'm can't express my gratitude enough for a loving Heavenly Father who seems to love me despite all my many weaknesses and listens intently to my prayers.  I know that personal revelation is real and when I'm humble enough to ask for it, that the Lord answers those prayers.  Its happened time and time again.  My own pride holds me back from enjoying it more.

There are so many talks from this last General Conference that enrich and strengthen my resolve to be a better wife and mother.  I'm so grateful for living prophets and inspired leaders that are fearless when it comes to sharing their testimonies and wisdom with us.

Thank you for being such faithful and wonderful friends and family. Your examples of striving to do what's right in your life, even when its difficult is a real strength to me.  I love and miss you.  I really mean it, I do.

I also wanted to share that Adelaide is walking!  She is so cute totting around!  I'll try to snap some pictures of her this weekend so you can see her cute little form.

Hope everyone has great weekend plans!  Thanks for checking in! :)

10 comments:

The Kammeyers said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful thoughts & beautiful pictures, Heather! It's inspiring to hear such wise counsel.

Hope you guys have a great Memorial Day Weekend! Aaron and I will be gone for the next few days, but after we get back & settled I'd LOVE to get together with you! Can you send me your number on Facebook? :)

Lisa said...

First off, BEAUTIFUL flower pictures. Breathtaking.

And thank you for your thoughts on Sister Beck's talk. I always enjoy her talks so much. And it reminded me that I REALLY need to go through and read all of the Conference talks. I've been trying so hard to keep up with Old Testament reading for Sunday School (which I'm not totally enjoying--some of those stories are ick) that I've totally spaced reading through the Conference talks. And I, too, noticed how many were geared toward parenthood, and I could really use it right now, as Jonathan's going through a bit of a difficult patch. :/ So anyways, THANKS! You help me out so much just by your example :)

Lesley said...

Heather! Will you please please please come down to Houston and hang out with me and then photograph my entire life so that it looks like that incredible photo of the flower? I am sure the flower was beautiful to begin with, but the way you edited enhanced all of it's best qualities to make a truly incredible picture.

Have you found a photography contest? You should find one and enter. You have serious talent. I want everyone to know about it.

Love your new Smitten stuff too!

But best of all, Congrats to your newest walker! Hooray for Adelaide!

Lesley said...

PS I almost forgot about the thoughts you shared about the talk! Thank you so much for sharing your inspiration and insights. It was a great talk and you added some more personal meaning for me. All of that you spoke of is the most important message for young mothers, don't you think?

Thank you!

Jean said...

This is so beautiful!! Beautiful flowers, beautiful words!! I love how she said "bathed in help..." I agree, personal revelation is something that is always available that I don't seek often enough. It is such a blessing that we have!! I love everything you wrote!! (And CONGRATS to Adelaide!! I can't wait to see walking pics!!!!)

Abbie said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I was craving a dose of Heather! I love this talk so much. I've listened to it and read through it a few times and I just love it.

You are so amazing and strong, Hea. You've been through hard things and grown from them. And there is one little thing I disagree with;). You DO deserve God's goodness! You really do! You're doing what is right and He is blessing you AND you see His hand in the littlest things. I can't think of someone more deserving than you. You are so grateful and charitable. And He knows that and is blessing you for that.

You are such an amazing example to me and to everyone! I want, no, I need to be more like you! Love you!!! Thank you so much for your light and goodness!

PS Those photos! Heather!! WOWOWOWOW!!!! You are so talented!

Arianne said...

great thoughts Heather thanks for sharing!

Wendi said...

Heather thank you for those beautiful thoughts. And thank you for reminding me about that wonderful talk by Sister Beck. I loved it when I heard it, but I haven't gotten my conference Ensign yet (grrr) and didn't think of it. I am teaching my beehives this week about "Counseling with the Lord" and I can't think of a better talk than Sister Beck's to help me with that. Thank you SOOOOO much!

And your photos are AMAZING!! I love them!!

Maggie said...

Heather...I love your thoughts. You are truly an inspired person. Today our Bishop had all the sisters gather together in the 3rd hour and spoke to us on the same talk by Sister Beck...so reading this today was AWESOME and uplifting. I love you and I miss you! I am craving some Heather time!!! It's only been many many years since I have had any!

Megan and Jeremy said...

THANK YOU HEATHER!!! I really needed to read your thoughts & I really need to read that talk again as well. I so need to be more patient with my kids & like Sister Beck & you have said the Spirit will be with me more & who wouldn't want that?!!?

Love you!!! You are an amazing example to all around you!!!