Saturday, April 10, 2010

Our Birthday BOY!


FIVE! Andrew is five! This is a huge day.  Even these last few months as we've talked with Drew he's become so much more of a boy.  He describes things and tells stories like a kid.  He laughs at things little boys laugh at.  He listens in on my conversations with Dan and chirps in commentary.  He asks a million wonderful questions about where, and who, and why and how.  He remembers everything so we try to only tell him things we can follow through with, and even then, we fall short.  He thrives on our attention.  He drinks up time with us!


Andrew loves learning new things!  One thing I've yet to share about him is that Andrew can read fluently.  He's been reading for some time now and has also shown a great interest in Math. He's really excited to start school.  Kindergarten will bring its own challenges with growing up, learning how to be friends, how to thrive in a classroom.  He's excited about all of these things. 

Drew loves to share what he learns with Forrest.  He'll often read things to Forrest and get Forrest excited about the things he likes.  Its been so awesome to see how his love of learning is a gift that he shares with others.  I think this quality will carry him far in life.

Andrew is sweet, and sensitive.  He'll often tear up at the sight of another in pain, in sadness, or when he's happy that things that were wrong are made right.  Once, we watched a movie where a cat was lost from home.  When the cat returned to a very happy family, he smiled, teared up and cuddled with me.  I'll never forget the way he snuggled up in my arms.  It was a tender moment.  He's filled with compassion. 

Drew P. (Say it fast! :) loves to play with his little bro and sister.  And although he can throw a tantrum with the best of them, he's quick to realize when he's out of line and feels terribly sorry about it. 

Some of you have known Andrew from the time he was born.  You may remember seeing Dan and I buckle his little body into our jogging stroller for a run along the Provo trail.  He was always so content just sitting there, looking around. Its hard for me to believe that its been five years since those sweet days at the Y filled with endless hours exclusively for Andrew.  Days, never to be forgotten, as Dan always says.  Our time together, just Andrew and I, during the day was so short in duration.  I have to admit that it was difficult for me at first to let go of the one-on-one time with him.  But, we've all made the transition to his having siblings so close in age, an all and all, I think he's been great about it! Andrew has the blessing and the burden of being the eldest.

I'm so grateful for his happiness, his gentle heart, his willingness and eagerness to learn, and his creativity.  We love our Andrew.

Happy Birthday Andrew!!!

***
We've been trying to explain to Andrew for some time now that his birthday is the day after Adelaide's.  We realized he finally "got it" it when he announced "Adelaide's birthday is squashed into mine!"  ha ha!!! 

He wants a pirate theme...


We're having a combined family birthday party with my parents, Kate and Josh and the Petersons visiting from Utah. Dan's cool little sis Amy is also sharing a birthday today!! Happy birthday to Amy!!! And a little shout out to our friend Ian Larson too!  What a crazy-fun birthday-day across the universe! :)

10 comments:

Jean said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ANDREW!!! Wow, I cannot believe he's five! I still think of him sitting there in his little carseat at the ward campout in Utah. :-) They sure grow fast! And kindergarten is coming up soon now... wow!!

Everything that you wrote is so sweet. I wish I could come hang out with your kids. :-) I'll just keep loving them from far away!! I hope Drew has a wonderful birthday!! It sounds like there's going to be another spectacular party! (Boy, would Weston love a pirate party!! That'll be so great!)

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, little Drew!!!! Jonathan was looking out the window at trucks and people walking the other day, and I told my dad about the cute little boy in our ward that was always looking out the window and smiling at any passer-by. And now he's 5! And he's going to be in kindergarten soon!! Man, time sure flies :)

Liz Johnson said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DREW!!!!! Ahhh I still remember when he was born. That is so crazy! I hope you have a great day, Drew!

hilary w said...

Wow, where does the time go? Little baby Drew is now 5, and reading, and a big brother to 2, and about to start kindergarten?! That's so exciting. What a fun age. Happy birthday, Drew! ARRR!!! :)

By the way, if you are looking for great pirate toys, Imaginext has some great pirate ships, etc. We got a bunch for Jack for Christmas and he LOVES them!

Abbie said...

Happy Birthday baby boy! Oh, I mean BIG boy! (how dare I call you a baby, but I just remember you as a sweet little burrito, snuggling with you in a rocking chair while I chatted with your momma).
FIVE FIVE FIVE!!! (how?)
We love you Drew! You are awesome, handsome, and SO smart! I love watching you grow up. Wish we could come join your pirate ship! Ahoy, Matey!

Metta said...

And we just added a birthday to April 10th too! Our little girl Giovanna was born this afternoon!

Woo-hoo for being such an awesome mom, Heather! I admire your increasingly beautiful photography, and the detailed loving glimpses you give into the lives of your kiddos. They are seriously SO. LUCKY.

Happy day to you, Dan and the kiddos!

xoxo

The Kammeyers said...

What a fun weekend of birthdays you've had, Heather! I too admire your photography & your obvious Mommy skills. :) Love ya tons! We've got my little sister in town for the week, but we should definitely plan a get-together with you guys SOON. Hope your week is starting off on a good note. :)

~Lauren

Megan and Jeremy said...

Happy Birthday Drew!!! 5 is such a big birthday! He really does look like a big boy now-the toddler years are far behind. Everything you said was so sweet Heather, he sounds like the sweetest kid ever and no surprise there knowing his parents :) Hope you had the best day!

Lesley said...

What a beautiful post! Heather you have a gift for capturing the beauty of life, both in words and images.

Happy birthday Andrew! I remember those days of Baby Andrew at BYU! I loved seeing his little face peep out the window watching for his daddy to come home (and I thought of him when my own boys were old enough to do it!)

I love that Andrew is a 5 year old! What adventures this year brings.

And thanks for the birthday shout out to Ian! That is so thoughtful!

Maggie said...

What an handsome handsome boy! So grown up. So I remember visiting you in your apartment in Provo after Andrew was born, Danielle was a few months old and he was just little little. At the time I would never have been able to imagine those babies at 5, now I can't imagine them any other way! I really miss you...I am dying to make a trip out west...if I get to you better believe that we will get together!