My entire life I've looked up to my sister, Rachelle. If you know her, you know why...she is incredible!!!!Today she donated her kidney to our wonderful mother. They went into surgery early this morning, Shel first and then my Mom later this afternoon. They are both really well so far! Rachelle will probably be released from the hospital on Christmas Day, my mom, a few days later. As the kidney transplant team prepared for this surgery over the last several months one nurse inquired to Shelley, "What about Christmas?" Without a moment's hesitation my sister answered in her honest optimism, "That's what Christmas is all about. I can't think of a better Christmas present."
I love her so much! She is such an inspiration to me. She's always going about doing so much good, blessing the lives of all who have the pleasure of knowing her. She is so smart, savvy, funny, beautiful, friendly, artistic, musically talented, amazing cook, great wife and mother, creative and articulate. She never hesitates to share what she has with others. She is respectful and learns from everyone. She has a deep love of other cultures and incorporates what she learns into her life.
We had the chance to spend the weekend with her and her family along with my parents. It was so neat to see how genuinely excited she was about the surgery. I can't express my gratitude for her enough!
My mom's body seems to be accepting the kidney and it is functioning!!! :) Hooray!!! What a beautiful Christmas memory it is.

My Mom is one of the sweetest people I have ever known. She's so real. She cares so much!!! She's always supported my decisions and encouraged me in my every endeavor. She takes a deep and long lasting interest in my well being. She always knows when I need a boost. She's been such an example to me of strength and charity! Nathan, Trent, Rachelle and I are tremendously blessed to have such wonderful parents!
Thank you to each of you that offered prayers, thoughts and words of encouragement through the process. Our family is overwhelmed with gratitude for your sincere efforts of faith. We have felt the power of your prayers on our behalf.
My sister is such a vibrant and living example of true love. As my Dad shared with us tonight:
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man layeth down his life for his friends." John 15:13
10 comments:
This is WONDERFUL news, Heather!!! I am so glad that everything has gone well!!! Your sister and mom will be in my prayers. I'm so glad that your mom has the kidney she needs! I've been thinking about her (and your family) a lot lately.
Merry Christmas indeed!
What a sweet post. Thank you so much for sharing! It just made the Christmas spirit seem all that much more real. I have to say... I don't know your sister but if she is anything like you, she must be an amazing person!
That is so wonderful! I'm glad that everything seems to be going well. What a wonderful Christmas present--to have your mom get better. Good luck to all of your family!
I'm all teary! Thank you so much for writing about this! Shelley is SO AMAZING! She is so inspiring! Her example of giving is amazing! I want and need to be more like her. She gives without thinking of herself. What an incredible woman!
We love you both, Shelley and Sherrie. You are in our prayers!
Wow Heather! I've always loved you and your family. Never has there been a more loving and genuinely nice family. I'm happy to hear your mom and sister are both doing well.
So my dad was thinking of Craig and Nancy Brown, but my mom put it together - it's been a long time since our families have been around each other. Anyway, they send their love from Norway. :) Merry Christmas!
Your mom raised such loving daughters. I know you would have done the same if you had been in a position to. I'm glad all is well.
Thanks for the update.
Oh Heather what a beautiful post about your sister and Mom! I hope they are both recovering well and can be home now. Your sister is so right, that is what Christmas (and life) is about-loving and giving to others. What a great example :)
Awww, Heather, this is so sweet. I love your family, too!!!
Post a Comment